On account of a close personal friendship between Rev. Herbruck and Rev. Fr. John Baptist Uhlman, pastor of St. Peter’s Catholic Church, all the lumber for the new building was donated by a local Catholic man, Andrew Meyer. The new church building was dedicated in October 1862 under the name Jerusalem’s Reformed Church. The steeple reached 145 feet, the tallest structure in Canton. Beside the church building, a schoolhouse was also constructed and maintained by the church for many years.
In 1871, amid increasing calls for English-speaking services, a second Reformed Church was organized. This congregation, Trinity Reformed Church, worshipped for a year in the mother church before constructing its own building just down the road. In 1914 the Trinity congregation relocated to Market Avenue North and 6th Street. Today, this congregation exists as Trinity UCC and worships at the intersection of Blackburn and Fulton Roads.
In 1886, Rev. Dr. John B. Rust succeeded Rev. Herbruck as the church’s fourth pastor. In just three years, Rev. Rust introduced the first English-speaking services on Sunday evenings, created the first written record of church members, corrected clear patterns of the abuse of alcohol which had become part of the church’s culture, and oversaw several major additions and improvements to church property.